Some of these structures still stand, some are long gone. Questions about a photo? Please contact us for more information.
This building is still standing at the corner of Oak and Washington Street (Route 53). Note the small shed in the back of the school which housed a Ridge Hill branch of the Norwell Public Library.
This building no longer stands, but its location is where the current Coastal Heritage Bank drive-thru is located in Norwell Center.
Located approximately at the location of Town Hall today. In 1922, another High School was built behind this structure and both buildings burned down in 1935.
This building, built in 1922 on the site of the current Town Hall, burned in 1935 from faulty wiring. Displaced Norwell students attended afternoon sessions in Hanover until the new school (Sparrell School today) was built.
On the site of the Cushing Center today, the Norwell Almshouse is the four-chimneyed building. It housed the "ill and infirmed" in town prior to any welfare programs. The building was taken down in the 1930s in preparation for the building of the Cushing Center.
On the site of the current Central Fire Station, this building was moved to the corner of Lincoln and Norwell Avenue when the new fire station was built. This building is visible in the Town Hall photo at right.
The Cushing Center was built in 1936 as the new Town Hall. $100,000 was given by Florence Cushing to build the structure in honor of her father, Hayward Pierce Cushing, and her uncle, Nathan Cushing.
166 Norwell Avenue was the home of Henry Norwell, after whom the town was named.
841 Main Street was the home of Rev. Samuel May, a renowned prohibitionist. To learn more about Rev. May, see the article in our LINKS section.
The site of a murder mystery in the early 1900s, this house is now home to businesses at 427 Washington Street (Route 53).
These houses, at 42 and 48 Central Street, still stand today--although 48 Central no longer has the Victorian-styled porch.
These homes in town center still stand at 661 and 667 Main Street.
At 869 Main Street, this house looks much the same today--horse included.
At 593 Main Street, the Victorian gingerbread and porch are no longer on this home. Built circa 1836, the Victorian additions were made by a style-conscious owner in the late 1800s.
"Parson's Row" looks much the same today--minus the towering elm trees. These houses are located at 637 and 647 Main Street today.
Built in 1803 by William Delano, this house stands proudly today at 370 River Street.
Kids needed to get to school before cars were invented!
This image is taken from a Christmas card from Shepard & Norwell--the Boston Dry Goods company owned by Henry Norwell.
Aerial photo taken mid-1900s of Norwell and Route 3 being built. It is believed that this photo shows High Street and the structures under construction are the Route 3 overpass bridges (recently re-constructed).
In Assinippi at the corner of Route 53 and Route 123, portions of this building still stand.
When the mouth of the North River changed in 1898, the North River Boat Club house was flooded at every high tide. The building was moved to Winter Street and the Club disbanded.
The site of the Norwell General & Package Store today.
Mostly no longer standing, this water tower and windmill was used for the animals at May Elm Farm on Main Street.
The bank in Norwell Center was remodeled in 1934 around this original building. This bank had Fogg's Hall on the second floor--shows and dances were held there.
The last large ship to be launched from a North River Shipyard, the Helen M. Foster was put in the North River in 1871 at the Chittenden Yard.
In 1888, the town of South Scituate voted to change its name to Norwell after Boston businessman and summer resident Henry Norwell.
Located at Queen Anne's Corner, this building was located just over the town line in Hingham where the Bank of America branch is today.
The first Grose Shoe Factory on High Street, it was later replaced by a larger structure.
Located on High Street, this factory burned in 1901 in the early evening under the ownership of Charles Webster Grose (named then as the Ridge Hill Shoe Factory).
Located on Washington Street (at the site of Alfredo Aiello's today), Horatio Gardner started the blacksmith shop in 1838 when he moved from Gardner Street in Hingham with his new bride.
Formerly located on Washington Street and moved to School Street in 1986, this photo shows Gardner, his wife Martha, their son Ed, and a worker in their blacksmith shop. Gardner was an early Selectman in town.
Demolished in the 1980s, the Wishing Well was a yard goods store that stood where the MacDonalds is on Washington Street today.
Located at 48 Washington Street (the location of the Taco Bell today).
The Stoddard House stood proudly on Washington Street in the 70s.
Imagine sledding towards Washington Street today!? This scene is next to the Stoddard House on the hill where the Urgent Care Center and the Citizens Bank are now located!
In 1723, Joseph and Joshua Jacobs built a dam on the Third Herring Brook and created what is known today as Jacobs Pond. The brothers subsequently erected saw and grist mills on the dam. In 1726, Joshua Jacobs married Mary James and built a Georgian-style home on a large tract of land he owned on the east side of Jacobs Pond. That house is known today as the Jacobs Farmhouse—owned by the Town of Norwell and containing a museum that is run by the Norwell Historical Society.
This undated photo shows the saw and grist mills built by the Jacobs. This photo was taken from road in front of the Assinippi Cemetery.
Taken from Main Street--the site of the Woodworth baseball fields entrance. To learn more about the history of the Jacobs family and their lands, see the article in our LINKS section.
On Memorial Day in the late 1800s or early 1900s, this photo shows the orchard that used to be on the Jacobs property near the pond.
These photos come from the Mary Osborn Knapp Collection--Mary's Father, Perry Osborn, was the Norwell Highway Surveyor for many years.
In front of 683 Main Street, Norwell.
Snow near 841 Main Street.
Taken from the 1867 South Scituate Town Report. With no town crew, residents were paid to clear snow.
Would you like to look at more photos? The Society can use your help. If you are interested, please contact us to help!